About Me

My photo
I have found the world's best mac & cheese!

Monday, March 23, 2015

What's In A Name?

Round two...

I've had a major record set in the last day. I had one hundred views in twelve hours! Mostly on my post called I AM NOT BIPOLAR!!! (<--- shameless plug).

Now to the point of the day: names.

A name is the single most personal thing we have, in my opinion, so when someone messes with mine, it really gets to me. My name isn't that difficult, is it? Two basic syllables: "Char" and "maine." Now, Char is a fairly common nickname for Charlotte, Charlene, and whatever other names begin the same way, and for those in the know, Maine is a state on the eastern coast of the United States. Side note: if you want in my good graces, don't call me by either of those.

It's not spelt funny, it's not terribly difficult to break down, and I promise there is no "L" in it.

We give names to everything we care about, and sometimes, things we hate or fear. I have a friend who once wound up in the emergency room on an overdose, and the nurses kept referring to this friend as "the overdose." I've heard people refer to others as "the cutter," "the schizo," and "the mental patient." When I was hospitalized in that hell-hole (shameless plug #2 Hard Time On The Inside), the staff would give us their own little labeling names.

None of this is alright. If you don't know someone's name, ask; don't just designate your own label based on one thing you think you know about them. Side note: if you just know that "the girl in the red shirt" said something to you, that's fine.

I don't know about you, but my name is not Bipolar, PTSD, Schizophrenic, Borderline, or even Hey You. I have a name, and that name is Charmaine (say that five times fast...).

"Charmaine"~ The Bachelors (Yes, this is a real song. No, I'm not named after it.)



No comments:

Post a Comment